When things go wrong

This season was the first that was on track. After 2 surgeries last year and a couple of other messed up season I was doing great. Then at a village festival I was kicking a ball around with my kids when I misconnected with a shot. It felt a bit weird, but 2 hours later I was in intense pain and on crutches.

Next day I went to hospital for x-rays. No break. Pain killers. Rest. Ice. Compression. Elevation. Come back in 3 weeks. I had further x-rays last week which confirmed no break but still no diagnosis. At least I got an ankle brace (complete with BOA dial :slight_smile: ) Today I saw the surgeon and had an MRI scan.

The diagnosis is severe bone bruising in the top part of my ankle joint, torn ligaments and tendon damage. Treatment for the bone bruising is antiinflamatories and rest. I need a follow up for the other injuries.

Back to square 1. At least Pav and I have experience of getting me back fit again.

1 Like

Wowzers, that sounds like you had a rough time. How hard did you kick that ball? :wink:

1 Like

Sprinters legs and a past life in ball sports…

Crazy injury! Sucks, but we can get you back fit :slight_smile:

Flipping heck Julian. Hope the recovery is swift for you. You’ll regain that fitness in no time and be fighting fit again.

1 Like

I really don’t like reading this. Verysorry and wishing you all the best for bouncing back

1 Like

Not happy to be reading this. Speedy recover

1 Like

How are you now @Kicikacsa ?

Thanks for asking. In the last week, I stopped using crutches and taking painkillers. I am back on my bike since Sunday and have managed 4 rides in the last 5 days. The rides are nothing to write home about. I have reached 45 minutes at just about RPE 1 but that will come. Main thing is progress.

I have used the time to plan future events. Diary now broadly planned for the next 12 months. I also realised that I can’t just assume that I will get another chance at things. I hope this will make it harder to not finish events and spur me to try things that I haven’t had the confidence to do before.

2 Likes

Good to hear your progress

1 Like

This is excellent progress. Thank you for the update

1 Like

Good to be reading this. still heading in the right direction?

Hi Troy, I have 4 weeks of building up without any significant set back. I am training as I usually would. I have lost about 35w off my ftp and a ton of core strength but that’s to be expected. I also had my first crash since 2015 on my first outdoors ride - doh!

Mid December vEverest in the plan.

4 Likes

Sounds like you have made some progress in a bad situation. I am happy for you and wish you plenty more

2 Likes

this is really great to read!

1 Like

Great news. Thanks for the update and best wishes on this continuing. I presume you will update us on your training and everesting?

1 Like

Thank you @Kicikacsa ! You’re updates av very inspirational even though you do seem to have quite a few set backs