What data in your computer?

What Data Screens Every Road Cyclist Should Use ?

I usually have:

• time of the day so that I ride back before the sun goes down
  • the complete ride time
  • heart rate
  • 3s power
  • lap normalised power (when I drop out of the prescribed average because of stop signs, I start a new lap)
  • distance
  • elevaton gain of the ride (in the mountains to judge how much climbing is left)
1 Like
  • 3s power
  • heart rate
  • cadence
  • speed
  • ride time (minus stop time)
  • distance
  • average power

In reality I use power / heartrate / cadence. Heartrate to not top out at my limit, cadence to not fall into grinding habits while climbing (less stress on my knees).

The rest is keeping track of a ride as a whole.

Got a 2nd screen with time of day, temperature, ascent / descent, avg rpm/speed. Something you look at while on a break, or checking the temperature drop on a climb

1 Like
  • 3” power average
  • Workout average
  • Heart rate
  • Cadence
  • Workout time
  • Time of day
  • Distance
1 Like

Riding outside
Main screen:
3s power
HR
lap avg. power
TSS
Cadence

Secondary screen:
Elapsed time
total moving time
total distance
normalised power

Third screen (one row per lap)
lap time / lap dsiatance / lap normalised power

1 Like

Very interesting everyone, thank!

What’s your reason for TSS @Kicikacsa ? Not suggesting wrong, just curious

1 Like

Woow! Thank you everyone!

What is normalised power? :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Hi Beth, I use on long rides outside to make sure that I am hitting my targets for the long ride. I could do it with lap or ride NP or intensity factor, but I enjoy seeing it tick up through the ride and get motivation from the form I am building. It is far more meaningful and motivating for me than time, or distance or anything else I can think of.

Normalised power is an estimate of the power you could have maintained for the same work load at a steady effort** . It de-emphasizes periods of lower power output and places greater weight on harder efforts. It is used to calculate the training stress or training effect of your workout.

TSS = [intesity factor]^2 x time

intensity factor = normalised power / functional threshold power

Are you factoring in time in zone though? Not sure how you train, but I was always told that TSS becomes a challenging target when outside as you will inevitably be below your power target sometimes (stopping, traffic, descending), therefore you will likely stray above that zone when trying to match TSS to a duration.

Great question, but for the roads that I usually ride those influences are very minor. On a typical 4+ hour ride, I will accumulate less than 5 minutes free wheeling. I train against whatever the boss has set me - usually zone 2 for long rides - which is why I track my average power / lap. The TSS just gives me a big picture sense of what I am achieving.

Great answer @Kicikacsa! That is a solid argument for this. Agree re lap power being something you need to track too.

@Billyboy if you live in a very hilly area or have a lot of low power time, I wouldn’t necessarily have TSS or at least have it but don’t worry if you aretooc low

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation on this