This feels like such a win - 35mins outdoor ride - Mental Health break through

Nothing amazing in the speed or time but this is such a mental boost actually getting outside and cycling. I might or not have mentioned that with my SI injury and continuing pain I’ve actually been afraid of riding outside. The thought of the pain coming and then having to battle to get back home or even the fact that it is uphill to get back to the house.

This is from someone who has previously completed multiple 100 mile rides many up and around the Peak District. 2019 saw me do 4 one each weekend in May and 12 in total for the year.

This is in part a thank you to @Kicikacsa for loaning me some 165mm cranks which after a couple of indoor rides seemed to be helping with the hip pain. Even after the first ride had me actually excited about the possibility of riding on outdoor again. So last night I took the plunge I’d got just 20mins recovery ride on my plan and it was glorious sunshine so I thought why not. This isn’t to say I didn’t go back and forth on this numerous times even while actually putting my shoes on with my bike already set ready to go outside the garage. I kept telling myself keep your HR in zone 1 and you will be fine, you’ve put out much more power in intervals on the trainer than you will get close to in the next 9miles but hey it gets in your head.

For everything people see on the outside we can all have these mental blockages/hangups. After all people might see I ran 46miles two weeks ago in training, along with 2-3hrs of indoor bike training and routinely run sub 25min 5k’s and so be thinking how can this be such a win but at this moment it feels better than running a sub 22min 5k ParkRun.

3 Likes

This is AWESOME! I am very happy for you

1 Like

Brilliant news Kevin! I am so happy that you are making progress.

1 Like

I am really happy for you @kevstorr

1 Like

Echo everyone els. Very happy to be reading this!

1 Like

So cool. Good to hear fella!

1 Like