Rice for breakfast

I’ve been eating rice for breakfast before the weekend ride! and i do really like it! does it really matter which kind of rice i’m eating? now i’m basmati white rice ?

Thanks

2 Likes

Probably doesn’t matter as it is before a ride - brown or wild rice is probably better in some respects and provide slower energy release, but white or jasmine rice will probably digest quicker. Therefore, depends on how long before riding you plan to eat it.

2 Likes

I agree with @foreverridingbikes on this :slight_smile:

1 Like

How deep a rabbit hole do we want to go down.

In simple terms on the bike and pre ride I’d say white rice. It has less fibre and is easier for the body to process.

Off the bike brown rice most of the time as it has more fibre, nutrients and antioxidants.

Another fact to know is that 1 cup of rice is higher in carbs, lower in protein and fat than oats. So this is why it is a great option for your on bike real food feeling and also pre ride.

1 Like

I agree with this mate. Not that I’m eating rice for breakfast :wink:

1 Like

I think I could go with home made rice pudding with a good skin on it :yum:

I think I just threw up. :nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

:sweat_smile: rice pudding is nasty :nauseated_face:

1 Like

shop bought rubbish is aka ambrosia but I’m talking real home made and its a million times better and different.

I have only ever had the dubious pleasure of tinned or school rice pudding. Can’t stand the sight or smell of it since.

1 Like

I do eat only steam white rice without anything!! :smiley: super for weekend ride!!

4 Likes

Glad that worked for you!

1 Like

Quickly from a rice-o-holic.

I do prefer “Calrose” over basmati. In both cases there are different variation with different carb content. Might be worth looking at the labels.

Brown rice is a matter of taste. I don’t like it. Sits in the stomach like lead. Might as well consume a dead-animal based burger.

Difference though, I do consume the rice normally a day before (read every day around noon), rather than in the mornings. Works better than pasta. Perhaps because I can deal with a rice cooker :wink:

1 Like

Agree on this. Rice is so much better than pasta.

I’ve been looking at getting a rice cooker but it’s another thing to store or have sat on the worktop. Given we have rice probably at least twice per week it might be good and also I’d use it for my home made snacks.

1 Like

Curious as to what a rice cooker offers over traditional pot/pan method?

My understanding is
More evenly cooked rice and constant rice time after time
Free’s you up to do other tasks while the rice is cooking.
You can have it on a timer start for example.
Some if not all have a keep warm option.

Curious as to what a rice cooker offers over traditional pot/pan method?

Convenience. I can program it ahead of time and I will have fresh rice with zero effort. If there would be one with Wifi linked into Google Home, I’d buy that in an instant.

A rice cooker is on my list of the essentials right after the espresso machine.

N.b. that a good ricer cooker can also be used for different kinds of rice (long/short, sushi, brown), porridge (no idea what that is;-)), and some also double as slow cooker.

N.b. there are small rice cookers with about 3 cup capacity as well.

@miffedoldpizza Ok so any recommendations for both Rice Cooker and Espresso machine?

Sorry for the delay.

Espresso: Philips Series 3200. Not fancy, but it works, all the time, no fuzz, does it’s job. I have been throu a series of fancy, highly decorative Italian master pieces, but at the end of the day, when I get up at 4:00am, I do want to push a button and get my fix. Don’t care about style, IT JUST NEEDS TO WORK. Having said that, Series 3200 is really based upon the Saeco internals, just a better grinder, and a much improved user interface. Latte2Go is also fairly usable.

Rice Cooker: Zojirushi NS-TSC10 if you need 5 cups, NS-LHC05 if you need 3 cups only. Both are really just for rice in all variations. Expensive, but worth every penny. For my daughter in college I got a Toshiba TRCS02, also a 3 cup sized one, but with more functions (do come in handy for dorm life).

Hope that helps.

2 Likes