Gift ideas for cyclists!

That would be pretty cool

Easy solution buy a white one and then get a custom pink paint job on it. Given the price investing in some aero testing first to see if the helmet does actually work for you and your position would be the sensible option but hey its really all about the looks anyway :rofl:

1 Like

Good points. Just really using a set of cameras to go throu my position. No wind tunnel close by to play around. The looks, I beg to differ. Don’t care too much. Just need something that actually works air flow wise for my head position … and … aehm … looks intimidating.

2 Likes

have you tried any field aero testing? It isn’t crazy difficult and a lot cheaper than a wind tunnel?

To be honest, I had no time yet. Got into this TT thing by accident. And still building up the bike as I want it. Just got the last big piece of the puzzle, a Alpha X integrated bar to hide the Di2. The helmet is ULTRA tricky. It needs to properly close off the airflow around your neck and shoulder, so it really depends on your head position. I am actually looking more at a Giro Aerohead or a POC Cerebel, where the head position can vary a lot more, and I can work more with my position over time. On the other hand, a helmet like the POC Tempor (or better said any long tail), has this builtin feedback element where you naturally get your head into the best position, because you can feel the tail. Started off with a ABUS Windbreaker TT, which is great if you are more heads up, which I am not.

2 Likes

Are you referring to the Chung method

Something I did play with just out of curiosity a few years ago. We have a hill near the finish of the club rides and the Easy Riders often have a little competition to see who can coast the furtherest down it.

Yes, the Chung method. I have done a reasonable amount of testing with it. I have a scientific background so designing the tests is very straight forward for me - making this comment because I hear from other places that this is one of the hardest parts. I used Golden Cheetah for the data analysis. I was able to test sensitively enough to pick up changes is helmet and moving aerobars up / down 1 cm and in / out 1 cm. It was also sensitive enough to show the laps where I passed a farm vehicle or car coming the other way.
This is the original presentation by Robert Chung http://anonymous.coward.free.fr/wattage/cda/indirect-cda.pdf
It shows how elegant and simple the maths is to tease out a cda from a jumble of data.

1 Like

awesome share, thank you @Kicikacsa