Favorite Recovery Tools and Methods

After several years of putting hard work into my training, I’ve more recently been trying to be more diligent about how I recover from training and racing, particularly in light of some knee injuries that caused quite a set back over the last year or two. What are some of your go-to tools and routines you use for recovery?

I think my #1 go to is my Air Relax compression boots. I try to use them for about 15 minutes prior to workouts and for 30 minutes as soon as possible after hard workouts and events. It’s obviously not always possible to use them immediately if I’m on the road, but that’s my absolute must-do if it’s available.

Some of the other things I like to get in if at all possible are a few minutes with my Theragun, some foam rolling on my Vyper (yes, I have devices from most of the major brands out there), making sure to fit in at least a few minutes of gentle stretching and mobility exercises, and more recently focusing on proper fueling and hydration after workouts.

2 Likes

Second the options of compression boots, Normatec/Hyperice on my side. It’s great after a longer ride, because you can do something else to wind down while the device is doing it’s thing. Protein shake / carbs. Updating your Strava / Instagram / Facebook … or simply doze off to a power nap.

“Knee injury”. Same boat here. What works for me is to use “Voltaren” and ice the knee(s) every night perhaps for 20 minutes. The key is to do this every day over a longer period of time.

3 Likes

recovery for me is mostly nutrition before during and after big sessions or events and sleep. Foam roller as often as I can chide myself to do it. I have also just started with a pro-rite device which is helping me get back from chronic groin pain. I would love to get compression boots - now on my Christmas list.

2 Likes

Actually very similar to you, @letsplaybikes, as I use Air Relax and Theragun too. I do have a foam roller, but shy away from it :wink:

Been lucky to not get too many injuries, but as I’ve gotten older, I have prioritised sleep and eaten far more healthier.

2 Likes

I’m good about prioritizing sleep as well. My sweet spot seems to be just over 7 hours per night. If I haven’t slept well or am just feeling more fatigued than usual I’ll try to catch a power nap during my lunch at work.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. The knee issues are pretty much gone now. A new bike fitter mostly took care of that along with doggedly sticking to a rehab regimen. As a physical therapist, it definitely gave me a new appreciation for how long it can really take for some injuries to improve and how frustrating that can be.

2 Likes

Same, Jen. I love my Air Relax boots. I have TimTam and then a foam roller. Regular massage I find useful and have been doing float therapy. I find that if I can completely relax for the hour in the tank my muscles feel super relaxed after - quite interesting and should be good given it’s essentially a huge salt bath! Not sure there’s any specific science in that though.

2 Likes

I use a shakti acupressure mat a few times a week. Saturday I used it after my 50 mile ride as my hip injury was causing me pain after pushing too hard on a couple of climbs. I then used it later before bed as well.

I find it great to also help relax and as a sleep aid. So I will often meditate while laying on it before bed.

4 Likes

I bought one of these for my wife but she never got on with it. I hadn’t thought of using it myself. I will add that to my evening routine and see how I get on with it.

4 Likes

For me it’s stretching after every ride, a protein shake after hard/long rides and especially following the sleep recommendations from my Whoop.

4 Likes

I often forget about the stretching/activation I do as its just the daily norm.

I always do 5-10mins of activation before riding or running. Also some activation and stretches every morning some while doing my teeth. single legs squats, calf raises etc then once teeth done side planks some spinal twists. Just something to gear up for the day.

I’ll also do some yoga everyday before bed to release tension from work, driving and workouts.

3 Likes