European sportive/fondo suggestions

Hi everyone!!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. I have been cycling for a few years now. I have completed quite a few UK based sportives (RideLondon and Fred Whiton are two of the bigger).

I’m hoping for suggestions for epic European events. I’d like to go for a week and enjoy the scenery, before completing the event too.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I did the Maratona dles Dolomites this year and stayed for about a week (few days before and few days after) - LOVED IT!!!

1 Like

I’m not much of a sportive rider, but did Mallorca 312 this year. It was really good, but a difficult day. The cut-offs are quite annoying - one of my riding buddies didn’t make it as he got delayed at the start. One to tick off the list I guess!

1 Like

I was over a few years ago for l’etape du tour - amazing event!!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions so far!! Some great ones :slight_smile:

1 Like

I too did M312 this year- great event. If you’re not fixated on doing the flagship event, the 225k course is by far the most scenic route. I found the extra 90k loop you do on the 312 was a bit contrived on less than ideal roads: narrow, lots of gravely 90 degree corners. The saving grace was an amazing part atmosphere in Arta

3 Likes

When choosing a European sportive look for the ones that are closed roads which both the Etape and Mallorca 312 are, as you’ll have much more fun on the mountain decents. I’ve done both of these events several times and this is one of the main factors in why I prefer them. I’ve seen too many accidents on normal sportives when riders forget there could be a car coming the opposite way or just an irate driver who isn’t patient.

3 Likes

Nice one!! I’ll definitely look at Mallorca 312 - thanks

2 Likes

Try the Etape Caledonia, and come and see some beautiful Scottish scenery and do some of the UK’s brilliant gravel rides at GravelFoyle and Highland Perthshire in preparation. (You’ll get to meet Reggie too!!:joy::joy:)

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion Deedee!! That sounds like fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The Dragon Ride is also a great event and one of the toughest UK ones. I was down to ride it this year but injury has completely written off this season of events.

3 Likes

Great shout on The Dragon Ride, actually. I did that a few years back and it was tough!! Beautiful scenery though.

3 Likes

I’m booked on Etape Caledonia

4 Likes

I think this is a really important point. Definitely check for if it is closed roads or not, will totally change the enjoyment of riding on the continent!

4 Likes

The only experience of road closed events has been in the UK with the Ride London, Birmingham ones. I wouldn’t do another if they are like those as my ride enjoyment was hampered by rammed food stops, inconsiderate riders across the full width of the road stopping those faster from been able to pass easily.

2 Likes