Dreams Cols- Title is too short (minimum is 15 characters)

I’ve been traveling recently just for cycling! Due to a lack of experience, I traveled during May, when the top climbs are always “fermé” (closed) due to snow. So, I need to travel in other months. What are your favorite or dream climbs? I have a bucket list, but I would like to get some ideas from you.

going only from the ones I have done…
Col d’Aubisque
Col de Galibier
Alpe d’Huez

top of my dream list is Ventoux. Check out the Cingles de Ventoux if you want a real challenge!

I guess I am perhaps an odd ball in that I’ve not got a list.

Yes I’d like to challenge myself on some of the classic climbs, especially as someone who loves a good climb. Something I tried to plan in when I used to lead the Club Peaks 100+ mile ride for a few years. However not done many of the 100 Greatest UK climbs https://www.100climbs.co.uk as I’m more interested in it for me. There is the 100 Greatest for France, Tour de France, Italy etc.

Something that will be useful in the coming Strava update for route planning is showing when segments are in use. This will help see for example those passes which are often closed over winter and so you can see when they start getting used again.

1 Like

Depends where you will go.

In Italy the Stelvio and the Finestre are the ones on my list.
In France not many, except for the Tourmalet. Did the Ventoux, it is brutal and without a possibility to bring it into words, it is the most magnificent Col to do.
In Spain, the Pico Veleta stands out. Long, extreme altitude and a strange end. Did it last year in August.
On the list is the Picos de Europa and the Angliru.
Austria has the Grossglockner, and in Switzerland I’d recommend the Furkapass and the Old St. Gotthard pass.

1 Like

Col de Galibier abd Passo Giau for me

Stelvio and Gian are my 2 faves

Taking some serious inspiration to start travelling with my bike more!

Start with something not so far away and build into it