Cobbled Classics / Continental Classics Tour

One of my big goals for next year is to ride at least one sportive in the Continental Classics Tour (Continental Classics Tour – Reeks van 8 klassieke toertochten in België). The most known of them is We Ride Flanders but obviously every Belgian race has a sportive.
Has anyone here ridden one of these races and can give me advice?

1 Like

I have ridden Flanders and will probably ride again next year. Fantastic event. Extremely well organised and very friendly. What advice are you looking for?

1 Like

Happy to pitch in with answering questions on Paris-Roubaix :wink:

Since the event is so popular and the pro race is at the same weekend, hotel rooms in the region are already becoming difficult to come by. Because of that, I thought about diverting to one of the other events. I had a conversation with a person who rode the long distance from Bruges this year where hotel rooms are easier to get and he suggested to take the long distance for the “full experience” but I don’t know if I am able to do this. (he is an ex continental level racer and maybe has a different coordinate system). How did you plan your ride? Did you have a “support crew”?

2 Likes

I booked a late hotel about half way to Kortrijk. I live in Germany so I drove up the day before and did my registration etc. It was about a 25 minute drive to the start. I rocked up, rode the 170-180 km route then got in my car and drove home. I had a set of training wheels with me in the car which was fortunate as I broke the tubeless valve in my rear when inflating. I took clothes for all weather and picked the most appropriate based on forecast. It was an amazoing event. Well worth doing at least once.

2 Likes

I think the rides are all fully supported with feed stations and lots of mechanics, so I don’t think you need to worry about the support crew too much - unless you are doing this self-supported, of course.

1 Like

I rode Paris-Roubaix challenge in 2017 (I think) and it was great. Obviously hang around for the pro version the next day.

2 Likes

Sound great. Did you go from the hotel to the start by car or by bike? Did they have showers at the finish?

cargo the start and warmed up there. There were showers after but I jumped straight in the car.

1 Like

I have booked my ride and an AirBnB now and I will stay for the pro race. Hope it’s not all in the rain :slight_smile:

1 Like

if I am fit then I will be there too. Which distance did you pick?

1 Like

The 179k. Pav thinks I can do it so I will do it. :muscle:

2 Likes

You can definitely do it!!

1 Like