Winter insoles for cold temperatures

Not sure if this is a “technical issue” but it is not also not ultra cycling related:
I have winter shoes but I still get cold feet when temperatures drop below about 5 degrees celsius. I suspect the cold creeps in at the cleat mount. Has anybody used winter specific insoles? Do they work?

2 Likes

I haven’t used anything cold specific (didn’t know that was a thing!). I usually go double socks (including a more winter specific sock) and then double overshoe. That is a ball ache to get on and off, but keeps my feet warm.

Do you have a link to those insoles please?

1 Like

I was not aware that that was a thing either. I have the Shimano winter shoes from a couple of years ago and am really disappointed how well they cope with cold ~0C and not at all with wet cold. Maybe my expectations were all wrong but I had not expected to wear overshoes on top of winter boots. Interested to see where this thread goes.

1 Like

Not cycling specific but better than nothing:

2 Likes

Aha, it’s not only me. What kind of cleats do you use on them?

3 Likes

I use Look KEO cleats on these shoes Shimano RW5 - Dry Shield Winter Cycling Road Shoes | Cycling Shoes | Wiggle

2 Likes

Ok, good to know that it is not better with road shoes. I suspected the metal SPD cleats but obviously you can also get cold feet with plastic road cleats.

2 Likes

This is very interesting! I follow pretty much what @cyclingislife says, and just hope that they don’t get wet! That’s when I really notice the temperature drop as the water gets in via the cleats

2 Likes

I do not miss this problem :joy:

3 Likes

Hilarious Pav! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: we can’t all live in SoCal.

3 Likes

Chris - I borrow from ski-ing where you can use heated insoles. The poor mans version are the toe-warmers you stick to the inside of your shoe which work really well but obviously take up space and need adjusting - but they work well for me. When I ride in 15f in Colorado, it’s the heated insoles for me.

2 Likes

Hi Steve, can you suggest a specific make oder model? I also stumbled across heated insoles during my search but they had all horrible reviews.

2 Likes

Hey Chris. A lot of horrible reviews indeed. This is the brand I use.

Also - I really like the Sealskinz heated gloves - also waterproof and windproof too.

Stay warm !
Steve

2 Likes

Hahahahahahaha!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

2 Likes

Ok there are winter specific insoles not that I have used any.

Lake make some WINTER INSOLE – Lake Cycling
Sidas do although aimed at Sking I don’t see why you couldn’t have them in cycle shoes. WINTER 3D - SIDAS

For me I’m old school (or tight) and tape over any holes in the shoes sole then line the shoe will kitchen foil under the insole. I then also on my summer shoes put tape over the mesh vents.

3 Likes