Which HR Monitor?

Hi,
my HR Sensor died. I already had a Garmin (battery replacement bad with these little screws, emptied after 3 month twice) and now a cheap Coospo (just died, not working anymore) … any other Brand around which works?

Thought about an Polar H10 but I am not sure with the Battery cap, seems it is only pushed in. hm…

any ideas?

thanks
Patrick

2 Likes

Hi Patrick!

Good question. I have had similar luck to you and just believe they are made really badly! I went back to Garmin because they are the lesser of all evils - hopefully someone has a better suggestion though.

1 Like

Garmin has these tiny screws to secure the battery cover. Usually battery dies on a longer cycling trip and than I don’t want to play around with them.

2 Likes

Hi, avoid Wahoo at all costs!!! I had one for a few months at which point it packed up. Customer service was excellent but the replacement has pack3d up after just 3 months. Garmin are by far the least worst that I have had.

2 Likes

I love my Polar H10.

The door isn’t a screw-in, but it’s a very tight snap. No issues surfing with it. Well, except that no HRM works with surfing right now because the unit digs into your ribs and your board when you paddle, which is untenable.

Polar has been one of the top brands in HRM for decades. An ultramarathoner recommended the brand to me decades ago, the only one he trusted to put up with his abuse of it! It has most of the same features as the Garmin, including HRV and precision measurements, ANT+, 2x Bluetooth, etc. It’s always been reliable, it’s a little less expensive than Garmin, and doesn’t have the foofy “run dynamics.” (I don’t trust electronics to measure gait, not yet at least.) Can swim with it, has onboard memory (but not a good idea for biking).

Just a great HRM all around.

3 Likes

Totally agree with Joel, Polar wins.

1 Like

sounds good, Polar it is :slight_smile:
ty all

2 Likes

This is awesome - mine just died as well. Will be spending my hard on cash on Polar :wink:

1 Like

Also using a H10. Battery lasts almost a year.

3 Likes

does that have bluetooth and ant+? Or still the bespoke Polar protocol?

2 Likes

The H10 is Bluetooth and ANT+. I had the older H8 before which was Bluetooth only.

2 Likes

it says Bluetooth and ANT+. It should also support 2 devices at once … but I haven’t tested it yet.

3 Likes

Ok, everybody seems to agree, Polar H10 wins, despite this CR2025 battery.

I had been going throu a Lezyne, 3x Wahoo (1x first gen TICKR, 2x second gen TICKR) and a Stages (StagesPulse). Polar H10 simply works. My backup is the Stages.

Big problems were that RF interferences produced funny results with one of them (255 bpm). 3 of them really randomly failed while riding (and no, not a battery issue) [actually I pawed off one to a not so good friend, just to piss him off]. The Stages is a bit fiddly with the strap, but works.

H10 supports 2 devices. Have my Wahoo ELMNT connected at the same time as ZWIFT. o might be one ANT+ and one BLE.

Cost. So you are riding this nice $15k bike and then fret around those extra $30 for a HR sensor that actually works, and does not die within 3 months ?

4 Likes

Garmin have a new hr strap, HR pro plus which has a twist cap so you can change the battery easily with no tools. I have had it for close to a year , all seems good so far, my previous garmin with screws and the silly gasket died as it leaked after 2 years.

1 Like

ah, didn’t notice one of the Garmin has that easy removal of battery as well. Went with Polar H10 now and i am quite happy with it :+1:
Nice strap and it works … up till now … let see in a year or two :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for the add to this @Rogerb and welcome to our community :slight_smile:

Just for the record. Killed another HRM. This time the Stages one. Had used it instead of the H10 for a while, because I kept forgetting buying the odd CR2025s the H10 needs.

Not sure why, but it seems a HRM lasts me for no more half a year and then craps out …