Using cold therapy to improve cycling performance

Posted to my website November 10: https://coachpav.com/cycling-training/using-cold-therapy-to-improve-cycling-performance/

This blog looks at some of the popular methods of utilising cold water therapy to improve your cycling performance.

Let me know in the replies if you have ever tried cold water therapy and how it helped?

1 Like

Haha!! Yes, I’ve tried this. I actually stopped because my shower head is too low. I’m crouching down and almost always tweak my back when I tense when it goes cold. Advice welcome?!

1 Like

Hard to help with this! Ideally you can try to relax in the shower, but that is hard crouched down and with cold water. Presuming you can’t renovate your shower :wink: maybe you can try warmer water or even building a plunge pool out of a barrel or similar (check out Sean Conway’s!!)?

Big fan of Ice Man Wim Hof!!

2 Likes

Very interesting man and gets some awesome results with his method :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Resisting this post given I’m curious about it and my Christmas present from the better half is an ice bath but I’m not convinced.

Also considering I’ve not got the said Christmas present as yet and there any recommendations on what to get?

Are you UK based? I have a basic one and it is ok depending in the time of year. Annoyingly needs cleaning more than I use it.

I think @Guystapleford has one too?

I have one in the US and agree with the cleaning of it. I might get one that has a filter system and chiller unit. It is impossible to use in summer here. From about May through October it’s useless as I can’t store enough ice to get it cold enough to use. It gets 30’s daily and 40’s when hot, so I would need a chest freezer.

I like the idea of a properly build one like a hot tub. Chilly Goat make the best ones, but you’re dipping well into 4 figures.

You can get ones that a do hot and cold, which is cool.

Basically depends on how much you want to spend. I know they are worth it, but there are so many considerations.

Yes in the UK and I had heard a few talk about them having things growing in them. Mainly one had used an old whiskey barrel.

I’m wondering if you could connect it to a pond UV filter system if you can’t get one at a reasonable price with a filter. The ice and having it cold enough in the warmer months is a thought I’d had but then this is the UK so not a major problem perhaps lol

Is there actually a meta study of the benefits of cold baths? The only ones that I am aware of are at best inconclusive.

Curious thing to write to an honest conversation about peoples experiences about ice baths. Are you saying that everything you do has a specific and proven scientific basis?

Sorry if it came across like that. It was a question of genuine interest.

What are the expected benefits for endurance athletes of using ice baths? They have been used for as long as I can remember for rugby players.

I’ve read a number of papers and articles and hence me not being convinced as to whether it is worth it. The worth might be only when you get into the high priced ones with chiller’s and filters. The home DIY or low priced just fill with cold water and ice might not realise the benefits as not being able to get cold enough.

I’ve also noted somewhere about there can be negative effects from cold plunges on the adaptations. So perhaps depending on what an athlete is seeking or at what stage of training perhaps they shouldn’t be done.

I guess as a 50+ male if taking the plunge could reduce the aches and pains the following day it might be worth it. However equally I look at it as if I get in at 8/8:30pm and then have to shower and eat before getting to bed around 10/10:30pm to be up for work by 6am is it

1. going to fit in too the schedule
  2. become a habit
  3. or is it going to be come a waste of money and time and perhaps just add another life stress to hamper the recovery.

I’m not 100% convinced neither.

The one I have was $100 and I can say I feel very energised and awake after jumping in. But I really am reluctant to do so when it is already cold outside and it is worthless in the summer. I also have the hassle of filling and emptying monthly (only if I ensure I add the right amount of salt - weekly if not).

Would I spend well over $1000 on a unit that filters and has a chiller? Maybe. I would likely use it a lot in summer.

I think the supposed negative side-effects are when you use it after weight training - for whatever reason it interferes with muscle repair and growth. For endurance based training, the benefits can be: enhanced energy, improved metabolism, and reduced inflammation.

I think it really comes down to how self-disciplined you will be using it.

1 Like

Thanks Pav. Much appreciated as you have validated my thinking.

I could really see the use more when warmer if you could at least get it cold enough and I guess $/£100 perhaps isn’t that bad to experiment with but for example putting that towards some power meter pedals or crank would be better money spent or even perhaps something else which might offer more bang for the buck.

Some great info here guys, so thanks for that. I agree with @kevstorr on this. If it was a good solution for $/£100 I think I would buy into it as well. I just can’t see myself using it in winter that much and in summer not being able to get it cold enough without the silly amount of ice to get it cold. Again, agreeing, the money is probably better spent elsewhere. For recovery, my money would go towards compression pants (like Normatec)

Started cleaning mine out this weekend. Had what I think it mosquito larvae swimming on the top of it. The other issue I forgot to mention is that even if you use salt to stop bugs, if it rains you’re screwed. The cover for mine blows off in the wind, it rains, destroys the salt ratio, bugs lay their nasty eggs in there. Honestly, the $100 ones are worth it to see if you want to spend more on a more expensive one, but I don’t see them being a long term solution unless you can maintain a suitable environment for them.

1 Like

Sounds like too much hassle for me!

I quite enjoy being wrong because it means that I learn something new. Here is a good example. Enjoy the article. I did.

1 Like