Trainer for the technically limited older person

Hi, my dad is 82 and finding it less and less appealing to ride on the road. I recently set him up on zwift which seems to have stimulated his interest. I want to get him a wheel off smart trainer. I have a wahoo kickr core but wanted to see if people had other recommendations. What would you recommend and why? Cheers, Julian

2 Likes

Currently there are great deals on the Kickr V5 since there is a lot of inventory left out there and the V6 has been released. Most of the smart direct mount trainers are about the same as far as complexity but there is a lot of support out there for the Kickr. Another option would be the newly released Zwift trainer that you purchase directly through Zwift. The instructions fod set up are as good and simple as it gets.

3 Likes

On thing to consider is whether going for something like a “KICKR BIKE” is a better choice. At the end of the day, why having the extra bike around ? Especially if you want to share the setup, perhaps.

Otherwise, I’ll second the KICKR idea (not KICKR Core). Wahoo has the older ones at a discount, and/or offers refurbished units. Got a refurbished 2018 unit myself, and zero problems (other my own ineptness).

3 Likes

The new Zwift offering might be the way to go. However I don’t know as yet how it plays with other training apps like Wahoo etc. That would be my only concern with their offering. Unlike Wahoo’s Kickr or Elite etc who more than likely will keep support for Zwift due to the numbers wanting to race and ride there.

If he isn’t going to be riding much outdoors, then a part from the price a smart bike might be a good option. However guess he might also have a bike which can just be left set-up for him to get on and ride.

3 Likes

They have the kickr bike on sale right now for $1999.00 on wahoo site. I just ordered one yesterday :grinning:

3 Likes