Saddle sores prevention and treatment

Not that this is much use, but I used to just get on with it. I’d use plenty of chamois cream during the ride and sudocrem after. Hope yours heals fast Julian.

2 Likes

@terry I have bought a pot of noxzema. I thought it was a cream but now reading the instructions it looks like a wash. How do you use it?

1 Like

Have you tried Sudosalve? It’s kind of like very concentrated Sudocrem. I managed to get a really nasty saddle sore last year after managing to break a saddle mid ride, and Sudosalve really helped.

1 Like

Thanks @SarahL. No, I haven’t but I will now. Unfortunately not available in Europe. I will have to wait a few weeks until I have a visit from the UK.

just spread it on the chamious where it binds

and it is a cleaner too! this is a good thing (so my dr. buddy says)

1 Like

Got it! Thank you. Unfortunately I can’t find the eucalyptus version at a sensible price in Europe. I can get the ordinary version and it’s actually cheaper than my current chamois cream.

the eucalyptus version just provides a little bit of tingling sensation which is quite nice … if you like that sort of thing :crazy_face:

Yes try a tub and if it works for you buy a case and it gets really cheap. You don’t have to be stingy about applying it … your parts are always covered in lube and reduces that gnarly friction

ive noticed that the tub of noxzema gets a little “soupy” over time…just leave the lid off for a few days and it drys out and firms up :+1:t2:

1 Like

Hi everyone, I am back again with more saddle sore woes andf looking for advice.

After starting this topic the advice was really helpful, however saddle issues are back and I am hoping someone can guide me towards the appropriate infinity seat (as there are a few of them to choose from).

As an update -

• I purchased a Sella Anatomica and ran it in through PBP qualifers, 200, 300, and 400. I never really settled into it. However whilst I got loads of quite sore chaffing the main issue regarding saddle sores didn’t arise, a bonus, perhaps

• I went back to the ISM saddle for the 600 qualifier, loads of chaffing, and a very sore spot under my right glute/sitbone area. Found out today the front right arm of the ISM is now 1.5/2mm lower than the left arm. Wear and tear I suspect

With PBP not to far off I am concerned that my current saddle issues will blow me out, therefore I am going to bite the bullet for PBP and upcoming further training rides and invest in an infinity saddle, however, there are so many in the range. Can some one guide me as to what they use for ultra?

My stats are -

• Age 63

• 74 kilos/163 lbs

• 165 cm height/5’ 4"

• Generally ride on the tops or the hoods, relaxed pace - not fast 20 - 22kph between controls - 13 - 14 mph

Many thanks in advance

Mike

1 Like

Hope you get this sorted. Very tough being this close to your event.

Thanks for the comment @Mikep!

Tagging in a @Kicikacsa who has tried Infinity, I think @Guystapleford has experimented with saddles too and has a new one from a friend of his.

1 Like

As far as I understand it the basic form is identical between all 3 saddles. The E2 is the basic saddle. The E1X is the same form but is fully covered so that you sit more on than in the saddle vs. the E2. The E2X is halfway between the E1X and the E2 in that it is gusseted rather than covered. The E3 has a grove in the nose which is the equivalent of a central cut out in a normal saddle.

I started on the E2 and was thrilled with the initial result. Over time I realised that I couldn’t rotate my pelvis forward to ride the drops comfortably. I then switched to the E3 which was considerably better. For me personally I would like the nose to be slightly lower but otherwise it is by far the best that I have found.

I am no expert but have some experience and suggest you get an E2 for your riding position.

Thanks cyclingislife. It is a bit disconcerting, 2019 everything went smoothly, the ISM saddle was brilliant. This time round saddles have been a fraught experience. I am holding my nerve rather than panicing (which at times i do feel rising). Still two months out so plenty of time.

Thanks Kickacsa, you have demystified the range which is a huge help in narrowing things down. There is a UK stockist who has an E1x and an E2 in stock, which i think are some of the last ones here as Infinity seems to have stopped UK distribution. I am uncertain whether the E1x would give more advantage by being able to shift around more positions on the saddle, an advantage for the long rides. What’s your view. Once again many thanks. Mike

Hi @Mikep one aspect of the infinity saddle E2/3 type that is different from a regular saddle is that you don’t have the ability to shift your weight backwards and forwards on the saddle. With the Infinity you more rotate your pelvis forwards and backwards. The E1X may offer a bit of both, but I have never ridden one.

Hi @Kicikacsa, thanks, that is really helpful. I find on the longer audaxs, 600+, that moving around the saddle for relief becomes a must as well as a good distraction from the thought of what I’m actually doing.

I’m speaking with a UK seller later this morning and the help has narrowed the conversation down, many thanks.

1 Like

E2 purchased, shall have it before this weekends zone 2. Look forward to trying it

2 Likes

good luck. I hope it arrives and you get it set up ok. The basic instructions are pretty simple. Please let us know how you get on with it.

Will do Julian, I’ll update as things progress.

Were did you get one from in the UK? It might be an option for getting me back on the bike in more comfort as since I hurt my SI joint I haven’t bee able to find a saddle I’m ok on.