Race Across America

Hello

Just throwing this out there. Is it better to plan to do RAAM as part of a team before going solo?

2 Likes

Hi James,

I think there’s a lot to be said for getting as much exposure to RAAM as possible before a solo attempt. I’ve never attempted solo RAAM as it was canceled when I was slated to ride in 2020 and I just haven’t gotten myself back on track at this point. I am planning on a two-person race this year, and feel like that’s a good call for me at this point. I’ve raced the entire RAW course and have crewed for a solo RAAM. I’m not sure how much experience with ultra racing you have, but I would definitely recommend crossing the country at least once or twice as a crew or team racer before attempting it solo. Just my two cents.

4 Likes

I should also add that racing two-person as opposed to 4 or 8 person would definitely give you a much better idea of what a solo race would feel like. It’s still a totally different experience to race it solo, but 4/8 person relay really just becomes a series of short and intense time trials. It is still a hard race, but it’s a different kind of hard.

3 Likes

That sounds like solid advice. I would be hesitant to do it solo the first time as well (not that I’m an ultra-cyclist, just a curious fan).

I would say be sure to get the right team though. I’ve seen some documentaries and stories where it has gone south because of team dynamics.

2 Likes

I agree with everything said here. If you it possible, get as much exposure to RAAM or RAAM style events prior to doing it solo. Some people would prefer to go solo rather than a team, I get that, but I would recommend simulating the demands in training, and crewing RAAM for someone else.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a team going for this or next year? Maybe we could use this forum to gather support crew as well?

4 Likes

I’d be interested in joining a team if there is anyone setting one up! I’d offer to organize, but I’m in the observing and learning mode myself.

4 Likes

Would you be interested in crewing for someone this year? Great experience!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting Dalton!

1 Like

I would be interested! I’d need some details… and unfortunately the likelihood of being able to squeeze another big event in this year is probably low. But you never know! Would be happy to help if it works out logistically!

2 Likes

I don’t see a way to pm here, but feel free to email me! dalton.lheureux@yahoo.com

2 Likes