Off-the-bike training

Keen to get my mojo back for off-the-bike training. Who does what and why?

3 Likes

I follow @pav’s 40-week S&C plan that has the injury prevention part at the start. I don’t have access to a gym and only limited equipment, so this is great. I’ve done some yoga with my wife, but don’t have much time so prefer to prioritise where I’ll get the most gains!

2 Likes

I’m doing more running at the moment as I can’t ride/training to hard. Started due to an SI injury and for some reason running doesn’t cause a problem with it and both my osteopath and chiropractor agree to let me do it but nothing too long.

I also do yoga and Pilates and before my hip injury kettlebell workouts.

I love my kettlebells great way to get some workouts in at home 15-30mins 3 times per week.

3 Likes

I do a couple of group PT sessions at a local gym each week. Mostly kettlebells and barbells. It’s an early, before work session with the same 3 or 4 people which is great as it gives a bit of accountability. I try and squeeze in a Pilates session too but that’s after work so it’s a bit hit and miss if I get away from work on time. Working out in the morning, and having something actually booked and committed to, works for me. On the whole anyway!!

4 Likes

I run, infrequently, for a change of scenery from bike training. My partner drags me to classes at the gym sometimes. Nothing really structured though!

2 Likes

This is great - thank you everyone!

3 Likes

I swim as it’s low impact and good cardio too. I go 2-3 times a week plus a regular session or 2 of Pav’s S&C workout.

I never used to do any S&C until I started with Pav as I was told it wasn’t necessary. But I’ve since seen huge benefits of rollering and stretching: a stronger core and posture plus the swimming helps upper body.

4 Likes

Strange! What was the justification (presumably from a previous coach?) to say that S&C wasn’t necessary?

1 Like

@DrewyWhite I have also noticed a huge improvement since being more diligent with core strengthening and mobility work, especially adding in more mobility work recently. I can move much more easily off the bike and find that I can spend more hours in the saddle without fatiguing or feeling my back stiffen up.

2 Likes

yep! same!

just started a series of training in the gym sessions…core!..is SORE!!! :muscle:t2::muscle:t2::muscle:t2:

2 Likes