Non-alcoholic beer as recovery drink?

Couple of things before asking the question. I am German living in the US, not sponsored by any brewery (but certainly open to the idea), nor does the physical proximity to the Coors brewery has anything to do with it.

Over there years there have been a bunch of research pieces about the benefits of beer (with and without alcohol). Lateley a lot of work seems to pop up with non-alcoholic beer as subject ( say this here: Nutrients | Free Full-Text | Features of Non-Alcoholic Beer on Cardiovascular Biomarkers. Can It Be a Substitute for Conventional Beer? ).

Now I am really curious as to whether this is real or just a marketing ploy.

Interestingly enough, looking throu the nutritional data, it looks like non-alcoholic beer has a good amount of B12.

2 Likes

I used to drink Erdinger Alkoholfrei - I know that @Guystapleford is big on the NA beer!

1 Like

I’d suspect the good stuff to be in unfiltered beers in the remaining yeast. That said, I usually don’t drink non-alcoholic beer because it always comes with a taste penalty (and also alcoholic beer since I wear a Whoop and can see how f*cked up my sleep gets). If I do every 2 months or so, I really make it count it is usually a 8%+ double IPA with an overflow of everything that literally explodes in your nose.

2 Likes

Did I mention that there is now NA Guiness ? Don’t drink alcohol to begin with, so not really that much of a taste penalty. Around here in the US (which is different to what you can get in Germany), it’s really down to Erdinger and Weihenstephaner. And a new brewery “Athletic Brewing” which seems to use the marketing.

It would be interesting to understand how much and when this would make a difference.

2 Likes

Haven’t got much I can input, but definitely interested in cutting down (or quitting entirely) alcohol this year. Looking forward to trying some of these out.

1 Like

Second for Erdinger. That was the game changer for alcohol free beer. That and perhaps Becks Blue - everything else was brown water to that point!

3 Likes