New gravel bike!

Hi all!

Looking at upgrading my gravel bike. Thought I’d ask for suggestions based on other peoples experience first. What should I be looking for?

1 Like

Number one for me is to get a good fitting bike!! I’m not much of a gravel rider, but I’m certain we have some in the group :wink:

1 Like

I’d recommend either a salsa warbird (if you want to ride fast gravel) or the salsa cutthroat (more bike packing, long journey beast). I have both of these bikes (sponsored!) however if I had to spend my money, it would be on these.

Tyre size is a big thing for me in a gravel bike. Here in the UK a 40mm gravel tyre just doesn’t cut it. Our trails are to rough and you just take a kicking all day. You want something that can take up to 47mm on a 700c/29er wheel. Even if you don’t run that larger tyre size, you always have the option of going bigger if needed. My cutthroat runs a 2.3”x 29er, basically a drop bar MTB bike, but with better geometry.

If your not racing and like bike packing the cutthroat is the way to go, but if you want a bike that’s fast and can do it all, go for a warbird. I use the warbird as a road bike with deep section hunt wheels and a 38mm tyre, which is super comfy for long rides and you don’t lose much in rolling resistance.

Again I am sponsored by these guys, but they are some of the best bikes out there. Salsa were the guys who invented (if you like) gravel bikes.

Hope that helps mate.

Steve

3 Likes

This is excellent advice, thank you, Steve!!

1 Like

Going to check these out, thanks mate!

1 Like