Inside vs outside?

Curious as to whether anyone else will still aim to complete all their training outside during winter? I will aim to, and will only training indoors if it is too dangerous outside. Even then I will try to rearrange my training to avoid the worst days.

For context, I am located in the UK, so the winter can be grim (not all of us can live in CA, @pav :wink:).

2 Likes

Hi, I’m UK too and I’m definitely going to try and do as much outside as possible - my limit this year will be frost, snow and ice. My limit last year was overcast , drizzle or just the threat of rain and then I hopped on to Zwift! I’m trying to encourage myself to be less fair weather.

1 Like

Ok, I am from Denver, CO, which is said to have 300 days of sunshine a year. In reality we have a few days of rain every now and then, maybe 2 weeks of snow/ice on the streets.

So I end up doing most workouts indoors. Mainly because it’s more time efficient to hop on your trainer and get on with it.

Longer rides are outdoors. To be honest anything under 3 hours just ends up being that same route I had been doing for years anyway, and my bike knows it’s way home better than I do. So why bother ?

1 Like

I tend to do a lot of sessions inside because of convenience and specificity. I try to do all of my long rides outdoors but if I need hills, like preparing for an Everest, I have to go on zwift. I do love being outside though. I’m in Germany with some pretty narly winter weather.

2 Likes

The UK here as well. I generally ride all year round unless too dangerous I have a couple of friends who came off at the start of this year in the ice and one never even made it off his road and fractured his hip.

For me it is mostly about time as well. A lot of my training ends up been indoors on the trainer partly for quality and consistency also as I don’t have a power meter on my bike so for some sessions I prefer to use the trainer but I do have ERG off so I control the gear and have better feel. Other sessions will be outdoors those that I can do on RPE or not too many intervals.

In winter a lot is also down to it been dark when I get home from work and also dark when I get up. I prefer to do less solo miles on the roads in bad weather and the dark but might choose to take the MTB off road for a session in the evening. I still aim to get out at the weekends and will usually get at least one 50ish mile ride in and often longer depending. Pre injury I would get a t least one 100 mile ride in per month even in winter.

1 Like

100% inside for me! I’m pretty much inside all year long, though, just makes it far easier to keep in line with the prescribed session.

2 Likes

I’m in California, but it still gets very cold here in the early mornings in the winter. I have to do my weekday training when it’s still dark and cold outside, so I end up on the trainer almost every day before work. I’ve been doing most of my weekday workouts on the trainer lately anyway because it’s just easier with how most of my workouts are set up. I will definitely try to get all the long rides in outdoors, but generally weather isn’t too much of an issue here if you can ride during the day. I will usually stay indoors on the rare days that it rains, though. I’ve done my share of riding in the rain and just don’t see the point in risking my safety or putting my bikes through the wringer by riding in those conditions if it’s not for an event.

3 Likes

I did some sessions outside on the MTB last winter even in light snow but I avoid road rides. They throw lots of salt on the roads here in winter and you can watch how it eats away your bike.

1 Like

Always outside for me!!

2 Likes

Nah - I like to get my training in early before work - if it’s colder than 8 then I’m inside - and if it’s sprints, cadence or vo2 max work then I’m inside. If I’m blowing like a mother trucker I’d rather do it inside - won’t crash if I blackout then!