Infinity Seats - Differences Among Models

First, my apologies if I am posting this in the wrong category. I have read some posts about saddle comfort and Infinity seats. I have been riding on Terry saddles for about fifteen years or so and have generally been happy with them, but I have had persistent issues with general comfort at points of contact. Not so much with saddle sources as general soreness. In fact, I find saddle discomfort my limiting factor on longer rides/segments (2-3 hours without getting off the bike). I have recently been advised to consider an Infinity seat, so I have checked out the website and relevant postings in the community. I wonder if anybody has any advice regarding the models on offer. Their descriptions on the website are not terribly helpful to me. I ride about as expected on a relatively relaxed road bike (I principally ride a SOMA Fogcutter) purchased for comfort at reasonable distances. In any event, if anybody has some insights or a link to an article that covers the differences between the Infinity seat models, that would be great! Thanks!!

2 Likes

I highly recommend a bike fit mate.

2 Likes

Tagging in @rainrider @Kicikacsa @Guystapleford @WattsUp who are Infinity Bike Seat users. Also @Mikep as I know he had saddle issues recently.

1 Like

Infinity user here too. It is hit and miss. I found that this was a game changer for me, but others haven’t had so much luck. It is difficult to get setup. A good bike fitter will help and I believe Infinity are doing video bike fits now too.

2 Likes

Ive used an Infinity for 3 years, loved it for most of it and it was definitely a game chnager in long distance comfort however weve fallen out and i just cannot get comfortable in it anymore.

Bike fit is a must absolutely :100: I try and get one done min once a year

Im looking at the BiSaddle at the moment as its come recommended very highly. Its - like Infinity - American so tricky to source direct in the UK.

3 Likes

Like @Guystapleford the Infinity seat was a game changer for me too. I started on an E2 but found that my sensitive bits were getting jammed into the raised nose. I then switched to the E3 which solved this problem and I was very happy. However, I have had a similar problem to Guy that they have become less comfortable over time. My main problem is that as I try to rotate my pelvis forwards my sensitive bits are jammed again. If I rotate the saddle forwards, then I lose the comfort and start getting hot spots. I am working through this at the moment. It has definitely been a breakthrough for me, but not 100% sure it is the ultimate solution. The search continues.
If you are in Europe I can lend you an E2 to try.

1 Like

@stevebatembe @Billyboy @Guystapleford @Kicikacsa First, thank you for sharing your advice and experiences. My issue with extended saddle time is not so much with “soft tissue” pain, numbness, saddle sores, or really localized hotspots - I get a persistent fatigue pain in my “sit-bones” and lower back. I know I am not describing it well, but after about 3 hours on the trainer, it is kind of maddening. I feel compelled to get out of the saddle about every 5 or 10 minutes. I had a professional fitting in December and saw a sports physiologist to check my “structure.” I have also tried to step up core exercises and improve my bike riding posture as well.

To be honest, I am not sure if I have a problem that will necessarily be addressed with a saddle, so I really appreciate your offer @Guystapleford - unfortunately I am about as far away from Europe as I have ever been (Moscow, Idaho). And this might also be the source of the problem. The weather in Idaho is not ideal for year-round road riding. Aside from a few short rides on the rollers, I have been on my trainer six days a week since the snow started falling in early December (perhaps late November). It might be that getting back on the road will help address some of this. Before dropping the cash on an Infinity, I might try to log in some serious hours on the road (off the trainer) and see if the discomfort persists. I am sure that it will, as I had the same sort of issues in previous seasons.

@Guystapleford - if it is helpful, you could send me the BiSaddle, and I could send it off to you. It would not take much to do.

Please let me know if anybody has managed to deal with saddle discomfort using any other methods. I am hoping that I can at least reduce the discomfort through a combination of better technique and equipment.

Thanks!!

2 Likes

Reading your last reply, makes me think that you may not have as much of a problem as you think you do. :slightly_smiling_face:
3 hours on the trainer (as opposed to outdoors) is a long time and standing up for a few pedal strokes every few minutes is definitely advised…not a problem. Also, addressing potential core strength and/or technique issues could help. Having said that, finding the right saddle can sometimes be challenging especially if you are judging the new saddle while still having residual discomfort from your old one. I personally use a saddle that many people question, but it is the saddle shape that I used in my racing days and it is familiar and comfortable…for me. Saddles are very personal and there is no one saddle that works for everyone. Infinity could work well for you and you may also consider something like SMP if other more conventional saddles don’t work.

2 Likes

@KEU what you describe is where I started out. My winter weather probably isn’t as extreme as yours but it can get down to -10C regularly so I do a lot of winter mileage on the trainer. The key difference on the road is the amount of movement between you and the bike. It is far more than on a trainer (except rollers) and so you don’t end up with a static load for a long time. I went from about 3 hours was my limit to vEverest. The infinity saddle was one element because it doesn’t load the sit bones at all. The second was a rocker plate to generate a more dynamic interface between me and the bike. I have a love hate relationship with the rocker plate as I find it very difficult to setup properly balanced. If you fancy a little diy project then they are relatively cheap and easy to make.

2 Likes

Jumping in here with similar sort of feedback. I knew a bike fitter who used to say:

“if your saddle was hurting you within an hour it is your saddle that needs changing, but anything longer than an hour and you have something else going on.”

She advised that it can be a number of things; general fatigue (saddle area, core, legs, all could contribute), lack of movement (as some people have pointed out when riding inside), sweat or in particular salt forming in your shorts which is irritating that area, chamois cream only lasts so long, shorts that deform slightly when they get sweaty, and so on.

From what you’ve said, it might be worth taking a 10-15 min break at the midpoint and seeing if you still get the same issues towards 3 hours. Maybe switch out your shorts at midpoint too and reapply some chamois cream.

Hope you get this solved.

1 Like

Some excellent advice here.

Randomly replying here to this interesting discussion.

Had saddle issues a while back. Was an interesting journey. My issue was actully saddle width and hardness. Ended up with the Fizik Arione R1. No cutout, no 3d printed soft riffraff. A pain for the first 2 weeks. No numbness, no tingeling, no pain after that.

Now I am looking at the latest trends and wondering … All of the Infinity Seat saddles restrict movement a lot it seems. Isn’t that exactly the opposite of what you need/want ?

1 Like

The difference with the Infinity saddle is the way that it takes your weight. It doesn’t load any particular point as the weight is distributed over a much bigger area and so that problem is eliminated. As you point out though, there is far less fore / aft movement on those which can present different challenges.

1 Like

I wonder what would cause this to change. I don’t believe that you would see that significant bodily changes in three years, so presumably it is wear of the saddle?

Has anyone experienced saddle wear to the point where they are no longer effective?

1 Like

Thank you for sharing. I am going to be a little more patient with my saddle. I have a different model on my training bike (bike mounted on my trainer) than on my road bike, so I should give that a few long rides to see how I feel before switching to a less traditional saddle. And @Colin, good point 3 to 4 hours on the trainer is not the same as on the road. Best & Thanks Again.

1 Like

Seems like I’m a little late to this party - any chance you can keep us updated on your progress please? I am in a similar position.

1 Like

Fingers crossed you get this solved. Agree with @JustInTime, please feel free to let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

Will do - fingers crossed I will be back on the road soon with less time on the trainer. Snow is flying right now in beautiful Moscow, Idaho. ANd thanks again for the discussion, advice, and recommendations.

1 Like

Any news on this - hoping it has gotten better?