How being lazy will make you a faster cyclist

This blog dropped Thursday October 6: https://coachpav.com/cycling-technique-tactics/how-being-lazy-will-make-you-a-faster-cyclist/

It focuses on the role that additional physical activity (or exertion) places on your body, what that means for your training, and how to remedy that with my “Top 5 ways to be lazier”!!

Tell me, what physical activities do you end up doing (gardening or DIY are good examples!)?

4 Likes

I like it Pav. Over the years that we have worked together I have got so much better at this. I still find the need to be actively engaged in things during my recovery days. I need to keep my boys busy and happy. I have found the the swimming pool is a good activity with them on my recovery days. I find the water soothing and obviously the water takes a lot of the load off. Then cinema or soft play activities where I can sit down. I would love to hear what other people do with their families on recovery days.

The sleep thing is a big one too. During the week I aim to get 7 hours sleep and at least 8 at the weekends. With children growing older this is getting easier. One of the big aha’s was when I started getting sleep data from my watch. I was originally only aiming to be in bed for more than 7 hours. Then I realised that I only sleep for about 85% of the time I am in bed, so 7 hours sleep means at least 8 hours in bed.

3 Likes

Definitely a good topic. With all these fitbits and smart watches nowadays a lot of people feel like it becomes a competition to get the daily steps in. For the general population that can be great, but for those of us who already expend a lot of energy in training and are working towards performance goals it can be counterproductive.

I don’t have a lot of commitments that prevent me from recovering properly (aka no family and not much of a social life), so I tend to do a pretty good job of being lazy. I can get 7-8 hours of sleep most nights and usually try to get a power nap in (with my legs elevated) during my lunch hour. I could probably do a better job of having a recovery mindset more often, though.

3 Likes

I completely agree with your point re wearables/trackables, @letsplaybikes. They are fantastic for those who are exercising, but can be a disaster for those who are training.

Thanks, Pav! My downfall is gardening, but I like some of the points you raised. I’ll see what my neighbour says :wink:

2 Likes

I really like this and am definitely guilty of walk vs elevator and feeling ‘obliged’ to do as much activity as possible.

My big ask to everyone is - sleep tips! I suffer massively from not being able to sleep for a solid night. I’m lucky to get 3 hours sleep - then I’m awake for 3/4 hours. By 4am I’m tired again and can sleep for a couple of hours.

Hot baths, warm drinks, white noise, digital detox have all been put to play - and still I’ve not had a good sleep in years. The idea of going to bed worries me now as I know I’ll be wide awake from between midnight and 3/4. On a positive, Pav mentions afternoon naps (If work doesn’t get in the way) i can sleep through those!

I’ve not taken any meds and would rather find a better way. I feel like my sleep needs recalibrating - but how?!

2 Likes

Hi Drew, sorry to hear your sleep struggles. On top of the things that you have mentioned, getting to sleep for me is usually facilitated by an audio book. One that I have heard several times before so that I can concentrate on it but doesn’t arouse too much interest. If that doesn’t work a meditation sequence for sleep from Headspace is almost always foolproof.

Other than that, no caffeine after 3pm. No alcohol. last food minimum 2 hours before sleeping.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Agree re your tips here @Kicikacsa!

I would add that I use Calm Sleep Stories to great success. Also doing some breathing exercises while settling down too - I like the 4-7-8 method. Here is a copy and paste of how to:

How 4-7-8 works

The 4-7-8 method doesn’t require any equipment or specific setting, but when you’re initially learning the exercise, you should sit with your back straight, according to Weil. Practicing in a calm, quiet place could help, said Robbins. Once you get the hang of it, you can use the technique while lying in bed.

During the entire practice, place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue behind your upper front teeth, as you’ll be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue. Then follow these steps, according to Weil:

• Completely exhale through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
  • Close your mouth and quietly inhale through your nose to a mental count of four.
  • Hold your breath for a count of seven.
  • Exhale through your mouth, making a whoosh sound for a count of eight.
  • Repeat the process three more times for a total of four breath cycles.

Keeping to the ratio of four, then seven and then eight counts is more important than the time you spend on each phase, according to Weil.

From here: 4-7-8 breathing: How to use the technique for sleep or anxiety | CNN

2 Likes

You might consider posting this as a separate topic too, @DrewyWhite? Might get more help, but I do really like what everyone has posted, especially the 4-7-8 method from @James :slight_smile:

1 Like