First Rapha 500 - advice

If anyone wants to follow me on Zwift, look for Matt Unterman (NY, NY). Going to get at it starting the AM of 12/30.

The main issue that I experienced on my prior ride was a fair amount of Patellar Tendon pain starting at 8 hours. After reducing watts, that pain lessened for the last 2 hours.

Does anyone have experience with this? And, if so, any advice? Should I drop watts from the start to avoid? Try K-Tape? Do some stretches every 3 hours? Take more frequent breaks? Etc.?

Awesome! I’m not on Zwift, but wish you best. Please post after and let us know how you did.

All - truly appreciate all the support and advice - truly appreciated! Getting organized today to start Rapha 500 tomorrow AM (East Coast time). My hope is to do it in 24 hours, but the real goal is just to finish. I likely will do it all indoors on Zwift, but may do some laps in Central Park to break things up.

If anyone wants to join me on Zwift for a few miles, shoot me a friend request (Matt Unterman).

Crossing my fingers that everything goes as planned! Thanks again!

@kevstorr
@WattsUp
@cyclemadman
@James
@Pav
@cyclemadman
@Kicikacsa
@JustInTime
@cyclingislife
@fromwhereIride
@Billyboy

4 Likes

Best of luck Matt :facepunch: :muscle:

1 Like

Hey! More than half way there. Looks like it is going really well! Hang in there. Tried messaging you in zwift but wasn’t able. Good luck with the rest.

1 Like

@Kicikacsa Awesome. Thanks for saying hi! So cool!

1 Like

Halfway done. 155 miles. 8:45 hours moving time.

1 Like

Awesome keep rolling.

Only just seeing this as I’m going to bed. Not sure I’ll be able to jump on tomorrow to join you for a bit. Got daughter friend here for a sleep over and I’ve got an hour run on the schedule.

1 Like

Thanks @kevstorr Truly understand the juggle! : )

1 Like

Big discovery! Mixing Pav juice with lemon Spindrift. A delicious elixir.

2 Likes

211 miles. 12 hours moving time. 100 miles to go

1 Like

60km to go! Smash it Matt. Good luck for the last push.

5 miles left. Crazy idea. I’m feeling pretty good - might take a quick break after 311 miles and go for a full 24 hours (I started at 8:09am, so just a few more hours). Too crazy?

2 Likes

If you are feeling up for it and the social circumstances fit, get it done! It will be a huge confidence boost for planning future adventures!

311 miles / 500km. 17:49 hours moving time. 20:40 hours total time.

Going to take a quick break and see if my body will hold up for the 24.

How did it end up? Did you call it a day and bask? Or did you crack on?

Just woke up. The latest I slept since I was 16. : )

Final stats…
311 miles / 500km. 17:49 hours moving time. 20:40 hours total time.

Also, regarding my secondary late-breaking idea/goal of going the full 24 hours…
My quick nap at 5am was clearly not enough. I immediately fell asleep (on wooden floor next to my trainer with a blanket thrown over me - need to plan better next time!) and that felt so nice and cozy that I couldn’t get out of the cocoon to keep riding for another couple of hours. No guilt or regrets - the main goal had been accomplished. 24 hours will need to wait for another day! (Did I just say that? Oy!)

I couldn’t have done it without you all. The support was truly invaluable and TRULY appreciated. Being in a hard solo situation but not being alone was incredible and so motivating. Thanks so much!!!

3 Likes

Well done! That’s a big effort and a big accomplishment. It’s something no one can ever take away, even if you don’t do anything like it again.

I know what the support means. I only got through my vEverest on a really bad day because of everyone who kept me going. Delighted to help someone else.

Happy New Year!

1 Like

Excellent effort!! Truly inspiring - well done :slight_smile: