ERG mode on or off?

Interested to know if you use ERG mode always, never, or a mix? Thanks!

1 Like

I use erg mode on intervals longer than about 2-3 minutes. For short intervals I have found that ftp isn’t a good indicator of potential performance, so the target watts generated by either TrainingPeaks or Zwift aren’t high enough for me.

2 Likes

I use it for intervals mostly but on short intervals below a minute, I might switch it off because usually the watts are way over FTP and let‘s say I want a slightly higher cadence, the power does not adjust which leaves me with more than Pav prescribed. As he likes to put me on the edge, this might result in me cracking.

2 Likes

Feel like this is a can of worms :wink:

Personally, my rule is >88% FTP ERG mode off <88% FTP ERG mode can be on if you want - but, as you can see, it can be very personal!

2 Likes

I don’t use it. For a few reasons.

1. I’ve found sometimes to transition between targets rest and effort can be harsh and sometimes I’d end up not been able to get on top of the gear and end in the spiral of doom. This might be my Elite trainer or running via Zwift. I’ve tried other platforms and had similar experiences but not as extreme as on Zwift. Sometimes it can be like someone has just dropped the handbrake on but it is a target power I shouldn’t have a problem with.

2. I’ve found I prefer to change the gears just as I would on the road. I can spin up the cadence a little before making the change and then settle back to the pace at the new target.

3. Doesn’t work for short efforts and I can’t be bothered about having to turn it off and on during a workout.

4. With it off. I think I am more focused on what the training session is.

5. I do use it for recovery sessions to stop me going to hard and also lets me drop my focus and just pedal.

1 Like

Second what @kevstorr says - always off for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the input :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I use erg mode 50/50. As others have said you can get behind really quick which causes the spin of death.

5 Likes