Caught waxing my chain ... again

Is it this: https://silca.cc/products/secret-chain-wax-blend?

Yes, that’s it Pav. Dead easy once your chain is properly clean.

1 Like

Many thanks!! Will stock up with this, but the length I’ve not been on the bike, new chains first :rofl:

1 Like

As I think I said earlier, i follow Josh’s protocol of wipe chain after ride, drip super secret lube let it dry overnight and jobs a good one. This in conjunction with several chains is how I get through multiple b2b days of riding.

I’m just coming to the end of my bottle of Super Secret Lube and opened a bottle of the Ceramic Speed equivalent (think it’s called Drip) which I bought some time ago when ordering some of their jockey wheels. It’s fab!!! A bit more viscous than the Silca product and so doesn’t drip onto the floor (which I find a pain) and leaves a nice coating which dries. Super impressed. Don’t think I’ll be using the Silca product from now on.

@abd & @Terry I need some advice. The chain that I rode at the Tour of Flanders got a right good soaking and mucking. I wiped it off immediately after the ride and there is no sign of corrosion. What do I do now? Do I send it through the full clean and wax treatment again? Or is there some intermediate approach?

Hi @Kicikacsa yeh, no worries. Id go:
a couple of rounds of boiling hot water with washing up liquid to remove the wax, dirt / crud.
Dry
Cleaning (white spirit followed by meths)
Immersion wax as normal

1 Like

I have done this and one thing I have found is some chains are better suited to waxing than others.

I used to really like KMC chains but the coating they put on means the wax just doesn’t coat the chain properly. So I started staying with Shimano Ultegra or SRAM.

Things are a lot easier these days than when I started especially since Silca has come on board with their bag solution.

i dont use the hot water method as i goto lengths to not introduce water to the chain (be it riding or servicing)

when i service my chains i “bake” them in a toaster oven at low heat…wax melts off along with whatever is left after initial wiping with rag

i skip the spirits and alcohol (re) baths…i used to do that every rewax…but now only to prep a new chain covered with factory oil…in your case there is only road grime…dirt, (dried) water…maybe a little oil from the road, its not like you are stripping a new chain…but do as you like

after that, re-dip in hot wax, hang dry, ride and enjoy

i picked up a new chain checker at the suggestion of adam at zero friction…and two chains (out of 4) that measured dead with this

Park Tool CC-4 - Chain Wear Indicator https://a.co/d/3aJKz31

are alive again with this

Shimano TLCN42 Bike Parts, Other, One Size https://a.co/d/ajBVvpu

additionally the shimano tool is much smaller and fits in my travel tool bag better

here is my “traveler” tool bag…this goes in the bike case…not my jersey!..upon a fresh build-up or adjustment I will take the silca tool kit in my jersey to make any adjustments on the road. It has all the bits i need and a small torque wrench …

I found five euros tucked in it from last Mays Giro trip :crazy_face:

side note, i remove my chain when i wash my bike as well… water … “es no bueno” and the root of all evil to machines

1 Like

Thanks Terry! Family are away this weekend so I may dive back into this. As I have tidied up my bike room I have found 4 new chains, so plenty to be waxed!

1 Like

“…when the family is away…i will wax my chain…” :wink:

I’ve had their torque wrench for a while now use it loads.

1 Like

@kevstorr I too remove the chain when I wash the bike.

I also like your suggestion of avoiding water when giving an existing chain a bit of TLC. Consequently I’m going to try putting it on a tray in the Aga to melt off the existing wax.

Do you work on the basis that a good wipe with a cloth gets the worst of the road crap off. Melting the old wax removes a load more and then the hot wax immersion washes anything remaining away?

1 Like

yeah.

i generally ride on clean/dry paved roads.

being in socal there is not much road crap that collects on a waxed chain…its pretty clean day2day…except for the residual wax on the outside of the plates/rollers from waxing, so i wipe it down before preheating and rewaxing

i used to collect alot of road crap when using traditional wet lubes…things were very messy given the same conditions…wet lube just attracts crap…also it turns lube into grinding paste inside the chain

yeah…thats my theory anyway.

im also trying to keep the wax in my pot as clean as possible, so melting off the old wax makes sense to me for that, and im not dealing with the mess of waxy hot water

i also propose (ie made up in my head) in addition to warming/preheating/melt-away old wax before redipping in the fresh wax, prewarming the chain may assist the fresh wax to “wick” deep into the pins and rollers, (along with the ultrasonic process), without introducing water…thats my thought anyway

i use my heated ultrasonic cleaner as my wax pot…

i do not see others doing it this way, as the common use of the UScleaner is to clean the chain of factory oil, ect

a few years ago, when i bought the waxing kit (wax and heated UScleaner combo) from molten speed wax

i called MSW for some advise, (this is before i came across Josh@Silca and Andrew@ZeroFriction), MSW said…

“…humm…most people use the UScleaner to CLEAN the chain…then use a rice cooker and/or stove top hot wax … and agitate, move chain around in hot wax with the swisher tool…”

apparently i did the process backwards, which doesnt suprise me :smile::roll_eyes:

to me it maked sense to use the heated UScleaner as the wax pot to wax the chain, using the ultrasonic feature to clean, and add, distribute new fresh wax deep into the pins/rollers instead of relying on variable hand agitation…i thought of picking up another UScleaner for the initial cleaning process, but went for 4 jars of mineral spirits and alcohol baths (2 each)…that seems to clean an oily chain pretty good, so i just have the one ultrasonic unit

my current process is -

melt the (hardened) wax in the UScleaner (now called “USwaxer”). the wax stays in the ultrasonic unit all the time, even when not in use, as it is the dedicated “wax pot”

preheat the chain in the toaster oven (Aga?)

drop the warm chain into the USwaxer

vibrate for 10mins

hang dry

FIN! :grinning::+1:t2:

In the end I suppose it’s all the same … so long as you start with a clean, oil free chain then hot wax as needed … yer golden!

Josh says to use a heated ultrasonic bath to wax the chain if you can. It aids deep penetration of the wax for that last 1-2%

1 Like

well! well!!!

somehow i missed that in all my stalkings of “SilcaJosh” vids!..now
i feel validated!!

you complete me Kicik!!!:crazy_face::+1:t2::smile:

… now … just to mix things up a bit …

while at SoCal BWR on Sunday i was surprised, (actually I was screaming like a little school girl) to see that silca was a vendor at the event, and had stuff for sale!! I could hardly contain myself!!! so i did what any fanboy would do and executed a kit/gear haul! … 3 pairs of silca aerosocks, (in UCI “TALL” config), and a bottle of Silca Super Secret Special Sauce drip on, top off wax!

The socks fit perfect!

they fall right at the bottom of my calf …even with my size 12/48 foot and long lower leg. I already have three pairs of their aero socks but they’re not “tall”…so they land just above my ankle!!! :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

and the SSSSS is as slick as snot on a cold morning!

yesterday I dripped on some of SSSS, Super Secret Special Sauce (wax) on my long waxing overdue chain before coach pav’s prescribed intervals … and good gawd almighty!!! i was a rocket ship!!! so quiet and fast i zipped around the Rose Bowl track nailing my tempo workout!

mark up Silca’s Super Secret Special Sauce and TALL aerosocks for the WIN!!! :+1:t2::muscle:t2::crown::trophy::dash::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I hang my chain and use a hot air gun to heat the surface and them wipe down to remove the surface grime before the chain goes back in to be re waxed.

Then depending on use it gets a full clean and re wax every couple of months.

hi everyone hope you are well and Summers jamming good for you.

I wanted to share something I discovered recently … I got some of Josh’s super secret drip on wax in the bottle … and yes it’s hard to control, doesnt get all on the chain, and makes some mess… I found this in my junk drawer … two of these little bottles that I ordered a while back (for whatever reason) and never used…I said

“hey …maybe I can use this precision oiler and put the wax in it and lube the chain…”

I did and it is the trick! it works perfectly! there’s no spill, and precision drops the wax on every link! I got them off Amazon

CARNAVAL 2-1 OZ Bottles with Stainless Needle tip for All Your Gun Oils https://a.co/d/0XDvu2H

3 Likes

Excellent share. Thank you so much for this

1 Like

I’ve used similar bottles before but got a set with different gauge needles. I’ve also used a Muc Off bottles as well because we print for them I’d got a handful of the bottle kicking around at work. Depending on the lube I found they could let too much out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Needle-Bottle-Applicator-Squeeze-Acrylic/dp/B08YNHTH1J/ref=sr_1_6?crid=2S8L3O5ZIZDC1&keywords=2-1+OZ+Bottles+with+Stainless+Needle+tip&qid=1687884141&sprefix=2-1+oz+bottles+with+stainless+needle+tip%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-6

Also a good advice form Silca Josh: When you apply the drip wax, cross-chain. Put it on the big ring and one of the biggest sprockets. That will open up the gaps in the chain that re there to make it flexible to the side and the wax will go in much better. I have also made the experience that if you apply the drop not to the middle of the roller but sightly to the front of the bike, it runs down and almost gets sucked into the chain.