AI coaching apps?

Has anyone tried any AI coach platforms? Pillar, Tridot, Humango, there seems to be tons popping up!

1 Like

I believe that @pav may have had something to do with one of those

1 Like

Do we know what level the AI is at - like is it actually AI or is it just complex algorithms?

:smiley: The lines are blurry. A few years ago, a young whippersnapper colleague sold a rolling average as ā€œthe AI algorithmā€ to my boss.

Iā€™ve not tried those, but am aware of them and the recent advances in things like Chat GPT. Do we think this is going to put coaches out of a job?

Interesting. Will be checking some of these out.

Correct! I have worked on Pillar and I now work with Humango. Very interesting and certainly the future of cycling training/coaching - without actually replacing the coach.

Pav, that opens up an interesting set of questions. What does a human coach provide over AI (which at the end of the day is more or less advanced pattern matching) ? And then, what are the limitations of AI in coaching as of today ?

I am a tad biased there for once doing my masters in a research group with neural networks (the origins of all of that), as well as working for a company who does a lot with AI (i.e. NVIDIA). However having seen what TrainerRoad propagates as AI is more or less clever marketing with nothing real behind it.

I will give an example of what i donā€™t think an AI system will do. I was planning for a big event and went through a couple of psychological exercises around motivation. There was a questionnaire with a part for the coach and a part for the athlete. I read Pavā€˜s replies about how he knows my level of motivation and I blushed. Can an AI system deal with the non mathematical elements of building and adapting a plan?

AI will automate some of the jobs that take a while - data analysis for example. Or aid with quick adaptations, adjusting a session based on fatigue or time availability (for example, you get stuck in traffic and have to do something shorter, AI might respond quicker than a coach (although I feel I am responsive!!)).

Julian summarises it really well. Another way to look at it is that you might Google your symptoms when sick, but will go to a doctor for an actual diagnosis or treatment.

Essentially, what we will see is a change from anyone using static and prewritten (generic) training plans to AI. Coaching prices may come down (as the coach does less grunt work).

I would never feel a bit of liability towards an AI app. This is no replacement for a Coach for me. It could help to make a decission when you are not recovered well and it might good to knock it off a bit but you should learn to do that by feel. (Iā€™m still stuggling with that, too much engineer in me).

2 Likes

I agree with this 100%

1 Like

Such a fascinating discussion. I look forward to watching this.

1 Like

Agree with this. I think the main challenge is bias of the athlete/user combined with AI making decisions based on rules or available information. Maybe in the very far future, AI will think like a human brain can, but looking at the way ChatGPT can have ā€˜hallucinationsā€™, we might be a way off that, despite how impressive it is!

What I think AI cannot replace is the empathical aspect. A coach is able to live your experiences. Though the coach is not riding with you, a coach has first-hand or second-hand (other clients) that have had experiences like you. AI can never experience what a human did. It can collect and learn about experiences but it will never have the same experiences.

I think this is exactly the defining point between human and AI. And why coaches (at least the good ones!) will last.

Fascinating discussion!

1 Like